At a Glance
By The Numbers
Median Annual Earnings
Median Annual Earnings are the midpoint earned by 50 percent of workers who are the lowest paid and 50 percent of workers who are the highest paid in a particular occupation
Jobs are any position in which a worker provides labor in exchange for monetary compensation (note: one individual may hold multiple jobs)
This is the most common education level requested in entry-level job listings.
- Lock doors and gates of entrances and exits to secure buildings.
- Answer alarms and investigate disturbances.
- Monitor and authorize entrance and departure of employees, visitors, and other persons to guard against theft and maintain security of premises.
- Write reports of daily activities and irregularities, such as equipment or property damage, theft, presence of unauthorized persons, or unusual occurrences.
- Patrol industrial or commercial premises to prevent and detect signs of intrusion and ensure security of doors, windows, and gates.
- Call police or fire departments in cases of emergency, such as fire or presence of unauthorized persons.
- Circulate among visitors, patrons, or employees to preserve order and protect property.
- Respond to medical emergencies by administering basic first aid or by obtaining assistance from paramedics.
- Warn persons of rule infractions or violations, and apprehend or evict violators from premises, using force when necessary.
- Answer telephone calls to take messages, answer questions, and provide information during non-business hours or when switchboard is closed.
What skills are necessary for Security Guards?
Hard skills are specific, learnable, measurable, often industry- or occupation-specific abilities related to a position.
Soft skills can be self-taught and usually do not necessitate a certain completed level of education. They are essential in many industries and occupations.